Table of Contents
LMS Software Shopping Guide
In this article you will learn what it is and the digital learning functions that an LMS Software can give you. Expand the limits of your online courses, with the implementation of these educational tools.
What is an LMS Software?
The meaning of LMS comes from the acronym in Learning Management System (LMS). It is a kind of professional software focused on learning management. An LMS will help you plan, implement and evaluate learning processes, whether in an educational institution or in a company.
An LMS Software can be a program that you download or it can be hosted in the cloud, that is, on the Internet, working as a virtual learning platform.
Thanks to its functions, if you are an educator you will be able to create digital content to teach classes virtually or access calendars, event programming, evaluation results, among other functions.
There are two main categories of LMS:
- LMS system for schools and universities: used to help train new employees by ensuring more convenient access to training content.
- LMS system for companies: it is mainly used to create and deliver digital content for learning purposes.
What can you do with an LMS, what is it for?
The main objective of the LMS Software is to improve the quality of a course, by having student management tools, content, evaluations, design, etc.
This type of solution has two interfaces, depending on your role. The administrator or educator will have access to certain tools, different from those that the student will access. Let's see each one of them:
Functions offered for the educator:
- Create and deliver digital content, with predefined tools and templates.
- Design content with JPEG, PNG or vector images; or use videos in AVI and MPEG format. The options are endless.
- Monitor user progress and performance.
In the following image you will see the administrator interface, to be able to create a course from scratch.
From this section, the administrator can decide the different characteristics that the course will have.
- In the Format, you will design the categories of the course, and how you want it to be divided.
- In Appearance you can decide the language, and if the student can see the grades and if he wants to be informed when each student enters the system.
Other functions that the educator can decide:
- If you want to limit each student's file uploads, this is where the student is asked to upload a file proving they did their homework.
- If you want the students to divide into groups or form a single community.
- Define the interface design: colors, fonts, templates, etc.
Once you have these first data defined, you can start structuring each topic, activity or class.
In the image below, you can see an example of the activities that you can add to your classes.
And these are just some of the features of the LMS Software. Professional software offers these features and more, such as:
- Integrate the LMS platform with other pages and software. For example: HR programs, ecommerce, billing, etc.
- Load courses previously created by different content creation software.
- Conduct video conferences and live classes.
- Create roles of: administrators, coordinators or teachers with different access levels.
- Communication tools: chat, forum, messaging, professional LMS offer multiple forms of dialogue.
- Reports and monitoring: surveys, files, data on student connections, schedules and other reports on the development of the course.
We have seen examples of how the admin interface looks and handles. In the following image you can see what a student interface would look like.
LMS Software prices and how to choose one
The prices of the LMS vary depending mainly on the types of licenses and the number of users (students) that will use the system. When making the payment, you will find options of different complexity and functions.
- The more users, the higher the price (it is the main variable for the price).
- The more features, the higher the price.
Some platforms can be downloaded for free, but it is not always possible to learn how to use them without professional advice.
Paid software offers technical support and really intuitive interfaces, which will allow you to launch your course quickly.
Average Price per Student/User (in USD)
|Advanced||5 and more|
If you want to know more details about the main LMS solutions on the market, you can visit the article developed by our team. You will find descriptions about the most popular tools.
If you need to know more about platforms to create online courses, how to implement these tasks, and the different programs that you can evaluate, do not hesitate to request free advice. In a matter of minutes you will have a clearer idea of the solutions that these software or conducive educational environment can give you.
Tips for choosing the right LMS
- Consider the implementation costs: most of the professional options have an installation period, and training to start operating at 100%. Technical support on paid plans is usually free.
- Clearly define your needs before quoting. The number of users is essential, also take into account the dynamics and needs of your organization. If, for example, it is a retail company, you will need a Software that allows you to add Brand functions, and be able to carry out adequate training for employees. On the other hand, if your company is an English institute for children, you should find out about options that offer pleasant designs and fun activities for students.
- Take into account the interface so that the administrator/teacher can manage it easily. The language is important, since not everyone will handle the same levels of knowledge.
- Take time and be patient, to evaluate the different solutions.
- From ComparaSoftware, we have gone ahead in reviewing the main LMS software, in order to advise people who are in the search stage. If you want us to share our information with you, feel free to request a free advisor.
Digital transformation and technology applied to education have defined a new digital learning environment that is constantly changing and poses constant challenges. The truth is that LMS or Learning Management System software will be essential to adapt to this new normality. Some ideas that we rescue in this article:
- To choose a tool that suits your needs, think about the features you need and the number of users who will access the content.
- Evaluate different options and do not hesitate to consult with experts in the area.
Within our LMS Software comparator, you can filter by different types of features, languages, functionalities and prices.
If you require more information, we recommend contacting our team for a free consultation.