Table of Contents
In this article you will learn how Maintenance Software works and the main aspects and functions when choosing the right one.
What is a Maintenance Software or CMMS?
In this article you will learn how Maintenance Software works and the main aspects and functions to choose the right one.
CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System, for its acronym in English), means in Spanish "Computerized Maintenance Management System" and is a type of professional software for the administration of maintenance activities.
The objective of the CMMS is to improve the maintenance management of the equipment in your organization.
Objective of CMMS Maintenance Software
The main objective of maintenance software is to gain productivity, by having the equipment in optimal condition, reducing downtime. Ultimately, its objectives are:
- Reduce maintenance costs.
- Improve productivity.
- Save on repair costs.
- Optimize human resources, particularly the maintenance team.
- Extend the useful life of the equipment.
Functions of a CMMS. What is it for?
Let's review the functions you can automate in a Maintenance Operations Management Software. In the explanation we will pretend that we have implemented a software, and we will go step by step analyzing its functions.
1. Register your assets
Once you have the software on your computer, the first step is to fully register all of your physical assets. You can detail:
- Name and Model
- Spare parts
- Personnel in charge
In addition, it has full control of the technical specifications, with custom fields, attachments, advanced documentation, warranty management, costs, among others.
In the image below, you can see an example of the information that a Professional Maintenance Software allows you to detail.
And these are just some of the characteristics of each asset. You can also schedule financial data, costs and know the team's history. Everything you need to manage industrial maintenance programs.
2. Integrate the team of operators
We already have all the equipment listed and detailed. The next step will be to register all the technicians, operators and managers, to whom we will then assign maintenance tasks.
3. Schedule Tasks
The third step is to register all task plans:
- Plan tasks, resources and responsible.
- Manage the activation frequencies of the tasks either by dates or by N readings, like a pressure gauge.
- Create unlimited checklist, validation, text, geolocation subtasks, among others.
- Turn pending tasks into Work Orders and track them to completion.
The task upload process is important in developing a successful maintenance work plan. Planning with a CMMS is useful for different types of maintenance:
- Preventive maintenance programs: they anticipate major failures, and schedule periodic reviews.
- Corrective maintenance programs: correct faults once they have occurred.
In this article we will tell you how to plan and define maintenance tasks.
4. Control inventory
Before launching the preventive and corrective maintenance plan within the software, you must ensure that you have the spare parts inventory organized. Within these tools, you can:
- Improve the response time to requests in the spare parts inventory.
- Manage stock control processes.
- Classify each piece in detail, with the possibility of adding images and updates in real time.
- Quickly filter and locate the parts you need.
When defining and managing the maintenance inventory, we recommend you review different options, for this you can contact our team for free.
5. Manage Work Orders
One of the fundamental functions of maintenance software is the management of work orders (WOs).
It is about assigning pending tasks to be done. Each of the activities to be done, are assigned to the technicians or a supplier, and are placed on a pending list. In this dashboard you can see how work orders are recorded.
When the jobs change their status, that is, when they are in process and/or finished, you can share the jobs via Email, or with any collaborative application that you have installed on your smartphone, and that you can integrate into the CMMS.
If you need to know more about the generation of work orders, how to implement these tasks, and the different manufacturers that you can evaluate, do not hesitate to request free advice. In a matter of minutes you will have a clearer idea of the solutions that these software can give you.
Maintenance Software Prices
CMMS prices vary depending mostly on the types of licenses and the number of users that will use the system. When making the payment, you will find single payment options (lifetime license) and monthly or annual payment proposals.
- The more users, the higher the price.
- The more features, the higher the price.
Average Price Per User (in USD)
- Consider the implementation costs: most of the professional options have an installation period, and training to start operating at 100%.
- Clearly define your needs before quoting. The number of users is essential, also take into account the place where it will be implemented. If, for example, it is an area without internet coverage, the "on the cloud" option in the cloud is not for you. You will need a Software that allows you to operate without a signal.
- Take into account the interface so that the operator can manage it easily. The language is important, since not all technicians will be handled in the same way.
- Take time and patience to evaluate the different solutions.
- From ComparaSoftware, we have gone ahead in reviewing the main Maintenance software, in order to advise people who are in the search stage. If you want us to share our information with you, feel free to request a free advisor.
By applying a comprehensive strategy with a CMMS as an assistant, in the medium and long term the benefits will be incalculable. Since you will save costs by:
- Extend the useful life of your equipment.
- Reduce downtime for repairs.
- Increase the overall productivity of production.
Paper and physical records are no longer an option for businesses. Technology is a value that makes a difference, and can make your company much more competitive.
This is why it is essential to keep a digital record of the equipment, monitoring the maintenance tasks that are applied, and managing comprehensive maintenance plans.
Within our Maintenance Software comparator, you can filter by different types of languages, functionalities and prices.
If you require more information, we recommend contacting our team for a free consultation.